I found a soccer themed fabric in JoAnn’s. The balls are imprinted with flags of the nations, perfect the quilt’s planned theme–world cup soccer tournament.
But the fabrics are very different in style and coloration.
So I decided to use my old fabric as the backing, and the new fabric as a feature print on the front of the quilt.
The quilt top measured 42 1/2″ square, and my backing was a mere inch wider. I sewed 4″ muslin extensions to the sides of the backing so my longarm clamps would have something to grip. The muslin extensions are re-usable; I sew them to the quilt backing by machine with a basting stitch. After the quilting is complete and I have trimmed the excess batting and backing from the top, I use a seam ripper to quickly snip and rip the extensions from the remaining narrow string of backing fabric. I have two lengths of extensions: one set for queen size quilts and one for baby or lap quilts.
Sorry to tease you by only showing the back of the quilt . . . but the front is a design I am pitching to McCall’s Quilting magazine for possible publication. If I receive a rejection notice, then I’ll feel free to show you the front of the quilt. Until then, here’s a sneak peak.
I really like the bright colors, the black and white circle print, the white background, and the black and white zigzag binding fabric. July’s fabric resolution . . . done!